Sunday, October 08, 2006

Accidental Friends, part 2

A few posts ago, I shared examples of random meetings and circumstances that resulted in long-term friendships. But I forgot to mention the most significant one I know, even though I wrote about it in one of my early posts on this blog.

This isn’t about someone I met, but about the meeting that resulted in ME.

I knew my parents met each other at work. About a year before my Mother died, she told me the story of how she got the job where they met. The incredible, it-almost-didn’t-happen story … she bumped into a friend while walking down Canal Street, the main street and shopping district of New Orleans at the time. The friend had just been turned down for a job but said, “hey, you’d be perfect for it.”

Dad was on leave in the Navy that year, but from the moment Mom started at the company, her co-workers told her she’d really like this guy Benny who would be coming back to work there soon. They were right. The rest is history.

1 comment:

Raymond Betancourt said...

I think this is why so many people cling to the idea of destiny or fate. The fact that we all owe our existence to a string of haphazard events, anyone of which could have gone differently and resulted in our not being born, is a little too scary for some.