Sunday, July 29, 2007

To Boldly Remember

Last week was the 38th anniversary of Apollo 11, the first space flight mission that resulted in a human lunar landing. During the next three and a half years, twenty four more American men visited the moon and twelve of them walked on the moon’s surface. No one has been back since December, 1972.


A whole generation has grown up knowing moon missions only as something in history books or boring stories from us fifty-somethings who were obsessed with the whole idea of spaceflight and what it might mean for our global future. The Apollo astronauts who are still alive are all over seventy.

The anniversary went by with barely a mention. I thought Boomers were running the world and the media. What happened?

Some of the national news casts on television and radio might have noted the anniversary, but the main stories were about Pakistan, Hillary Clinton and Harry Potter. The mentions this date did get were usually short and near the end of the newscast – something we media folks call “kickers.”

My biggest disappointment, however, is that I forgot the date too.

I was a space geek as a kid, spending hours watching the endless space flight coverage on the three television networks we had at the time, yet July 20th was just another Friday this year and no newscast I watched and no DJ I listened to mentioned anything about Apollo 11 or that magic moment at 10:56pm EDT on Saturday night, July 20, 1969 when Neil Armstrong climbed down the lunar landing ladder and said “one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind.”

Today I searched the internet to see if I was mistaken about the lack of coverage. The ABC Nightly News podcast gave it 2 minutes. Predictably, National Geographic, Moon Today (that really is a web site) and Space.com made mention of the anniversary. But one space news site I saw didn’t and I couldn’t find any newspaper stories across the country. Admittedly that could be due to my lack of good search skills.

What if the Columbus generation had had the same attitude? Few Europeans would have bothered to venture across the Atlantic after 1495. Queen Isabella’s successors would have been spending their country’s money on fighting wars instead of exploring the vast unknown. The United States might never have happened.

I think remembering events is important, not as a vehicle for living in the past or reminiscing about the often misnamed good old days but as a reminder to pay attention to lessons we might have learned from those events.

Moon missions united our country and our planet and gave us a positive vision of how science could improve our future. The spirit of exploration is a key part of the spirit of humanity and to paraphrase the opening line of the original Star Trek television series … which, ironically, ended its run a month before Apollo 11 … space is the final frontier and provides us with the opportunity to explore new civilizations and to boldly go … well, you remember the rest.

7 comments:

Loz said...

I'm looking forward to the movie "In the Shadow of the Moon" which I hope will open those days up to new generations.

I remember coming home from school early to watch Neil Armstrong on a small black and white TV make those first steps and dreaming of going to Mars by the time I was 40.

velvet said...

The lunar landing was one of my earliest memories, but I was always unsure of the memory because the setting was so unfamiliar.

Turns out that we were renting a house in a beach town in Maine when it happened and one of the locals invited us in to watch it on TV. I only just found this out last month on a trip to Maine with my mom.

It's amazing that nobody even remarked on the anniversary. Maybe they will when it's at the 40 year mark.

Bernie said...

loz - I'm looking forward to that movie also. I don't remember if that's a theatre release or television movie. Yes, didn't we think there would be commercial flights to the Moon and Mars by now? Flying cars, too.

velvet - as a fellow photographer, you'll appreciate this ... I'm such a geek that I took pictures of the TV during the live coverage of Neil Armstrong's first step on the moon. I developed them myself and I still have them somewhere in the clutter of my home office.

velvet said...

That's so awesome about the photos! Only someone who remembers the time before VCR's and such would understand. ;)

Anonymous said...

yes i agree with you...we need to keep those special moments in history alive. thank you for helping us remember.

Lee said...

I was too young to remember a moon landing. BUT...

I was 10 and in the 5th grade when the first space shuttle was launched. My whole class sat in front of a small t.v. in our room and watched history in the making!

I was at home sick with the flu when the Challenger Disaster happened. My brother and I were laying on the fold out couch watching and I can remember yelling at my mom to hurry up and get in here the space shuttle just blew up...it was wild. That stuck with me til this day....how we had taken so much for granted...space flight was and is still dangerous.

Even now if I know there is going to be a launch I try to catch it on t.v. or somewhere on the web. I think it is amazing what the men and women in the space program do....even if some of them are crazy and like to wear diapers....

Lee

Bernie said...

The day of the shuttle accident (January, 1986?) the launche didn't even get live coverage. At the time, I worked for a radio station that shared a building with a TV station. I was in mid conversation with someone on the TV side when another employee came running through with the news. At that point, the TV station broke from soap operas or whatever they were airing at the moment and replayed the Shuttle breakup. Very sad.