Friday, November 23, 2007

8, 6, 4 or …?

Years ago, the most debated holiday question was, “how early is too early for malls to decorate for Christmas?” Now the question is “how early is too early to open on the day after Thanksgiving?”



The last time I was crazy enough to shop on Black Friday was more than ten years ago. I was at the mall when they opened at 8 a.m. and finished buying presents by 11, just as it started to get crowded.

Now 8 is late. Many stores opened at 6 a.m. today, some at 5 a.m., Kohls and Penneys unlocked their doors at 4. Wimps!! Valu City opened at Midnight, as did some of the outlet malls. And people were already standing in line at many of these locations as the doors opened.

I did my shopping at 5 … p.m. on Tuesday. Black Friday sale prices were already in effect ay many stores and there were no crowds and no lines.

One of my favorite places to shop, however, is never crowded. In fact, I usually shop there alone and they are always open … the internet.

3 comments:

Synchronicity said...

this is very very true that the internet is always open 24/7. i don't do the day after thanksgiving either. what for really? not my cup of tea.

velvet said...

Internet shopping is fabulous. :-)

I avoid going out on Black Friday like the plague! I can't see having to deal with all that stress just to save some money because it's just not that important to me. Besides, most of the gifts that I buy are gift cards and therefore never discounted.

It only takes visiting three stores to get the majority of my shopping done. After that, I go to the malls just to roam around and get a little Christmas flavor, much like swishing something in your mouth to get the taste, but not drinking it.

Bernie said...

merelyme

That 24/7 thing is the coolest part of online shopping. I bought a new computer at 1 in the morning a few days ago, wearing pjs and sipping some nice red wine.

velvet

I'm warming up to gift cards, especially because my local Safeway Grocery now sells them for a few dozen other retailers... taking one-stop-shopping to an all new level.