Thursday, October 30, 2008

Where Were They Then?

Curiosity in the fifty-something world often leads to the question, “where are they now?” But sometimes it’s interesting to see where some boomer celebrities were, say, twenty-five or thirty years ago.

The Rocky Horror Picture Show was on television tonight. I have never seen this cult classic movie all the way through and until tonight I hadn’t paid much attention to the cast members. While watching it with my wife, I dug through a movie trivia book to answer her question about a cast member and was surprised to learn who was in the movie.

The lead character in Rocky Horror was played by Tim Curry.



I was aware of that and also knew he had a role in The Hunt for Red October starring Sean Connery.


The question that started this information search was about Susan Sarandon. I knew she was in the cast of Rocky Horror but didn’t realize she played a major role.

Here was the surprise. Do you recognize the actor in this scene with Susan Sarandon?


Here is a more recent photo.


It’s Barry Bostwick, known for many roles including that of the Mayor on the popular 1990s TV show Spin City. Rocky Horror was one of his first film roles; he played Brad Majors. His more recent work includes appearances on the television shows Law & Order: SVU and Ugly Betty and he will be in the Hannah Montana movie next year. He is also a regular host and singer on the PBS broadcast of the 4th of July festivities on the steps of the U.S. Capitol in Washington DC.

Rocky Horror was one of Sarandon’s early movie roles; here is a scene from Thelma and Louise, one of her most memorable films:


All three of these actors have had and still have great acting careers. I wonder if they are ever embarrassed by their earlier roles.

2 comments:

Lee said...

You haven't seen Rocky Horror til you've seen it in a movie theater..and I wanna know if you did The Time Warp? We had to teach it at our party Friday night.

Tim Curry is one of my favorite actors. He plays unusual characters. Did you know he was Pennywise the clown in "IT"? He also does a lot of voice work for cartoons/movies.

I'm trying to get back in the habit of blogging again, so dropping by all my blogging friends to let them know I'm back around. :)

Lee

Synchronicity said...

oh wow...isn't that something? i would not have recognized the guy in glasses as he is now. i remember people waiting for hours in line to see that show. i never saw it.

good to see you! i am just trying to catch up with all my favorite bloggers.