Sunday, September 03, 2006

Putting it off … Again

I promised an update on my return to college. Here it is: I failed. The deadline is Tuesday, the day after Labor Day. I have done nothing up to this point.

Today (Sunday) I read many pages of the UMUC web site, particularly those providing a reality check on the topic of online learning. This is the paragraph that led to my decision to wait:

Planning and organization: Online students need disciplined work habits, effective time management skills, and the ability to work both alone and collaboratively. Students should expect to devote 9 to 12 hours per week to coursework for a three-credit class.

I have disciplined work habits, effective time management skills, etc. … at work. But my job demands flexibility (frequent overtime and odd hours) and my commute demands 2 hours of stressful driving. After reading the above paragraph, I decided I need to be even more disciplined in order to pull off this online college thing.

The fact that I am rushing to get into a class right at the deadline date tells me this isn’t the semester for me.

My revised plan: I’ll meet an advisor in October, start the admissions process and try again for next semester.

Feel free to kick my butt.

No comments: