Saturday, March 31, 2007

Are People And Cash Obsolete?

Ever see that commercial set in a food service establishment in which the line flows smoothly and continuously like a well-oiled machine as each customer swipes their debit card, takes hold of their purchase and leaves while the counter staff smoothly and continuously bags the next purchase and hands it off to each next customer until some unsuspecting slob whips out dollar bills to pay for his purchase? The whole smooth operation jerks and jolts. The line comes to a stop. Customers spill their food and drinks as they fall over each other like tumbling dominoes. The “casher” gives the customer a “how dare you use cash here” look.

Millions of Americans can watch that commercial and say, “Yeah, I get that. Ha ha ha.”

We are becoming a cashless society. Debit cards are accepted nearly everywhere, even McDonalds. One day we’ll be asked to show an ID to use currency.

We are also becoming a self-serve society. Pay-at-the-pump self-service gasoline buying seems to be the norm. The self-serve checkout option has expanded to many grocery stores, Wal-Marts and even Lowe’s. Scan it yourself, swipe your card, leave.

I was thinking about this as I went to a Post Office to Express Mail an envelope today. The forms and envelopes are available on the counter in the lobby and there is a kiosk one can use to complete the process. However, I decided to stand in line to buy postage and mail my package because I wanted a real live breathing human to handle the transaction.

Is that an outdated preference?

I assume that self-serve technology is meant to serve two purposes: save time for the consumer and save costs for the company (which in theory would lower costs for the consumer). In this case, the technology would not have saved me any time. I was at the only Post Office in my county still open at 1pm on a Saturday, yet I was in and out of line in less than five minutes. The customer fumbling with the Express Mail kiosk when I entered the line was still fumbling when I left. I rarely use next-day shipping so I would most likely have been fumbling when it was my turn.

In addition to saving time using humans, the Postal Service human who handled my transaction asked me how I was doing, informed me that stamp prices are rising in May, thanked me for my transaction and wished me a wonderful weekend. The kiosk would have remained silent.

Before you call me old-school, I’ll point out that I used my debit card instead of cash. I nearly always use my debit card instead of cash. It’s easy, convenient and provides me a printed record of my transaction to help me feel guilty later for having purchased those items. It now seems unusual to use currency to buy anything selling for more than a few dollars.

Maybe I am old-school about self-serve checkout, however. I usually go to the register staffed by a person, in part because every time I have used the scan-it-myself checkout at Wal-Mart, a person had to fix a problem anyway. On my last visit to a Lowe’s or Home Depot, I purchased several items that the cashier had to match to photos for a price; that would have required human intervention at the self-serve checkout, so why bother?

Direct deposit and online banking is convenient but we never see a human bank teller. We can fly from DC to Orlando, from ticket purchase to luggage check-in to the flight itself (if we sleep during food service) without a single word of conversation with a US Airways employee.

Asimov’s robot books tell fascinating stories about the potential of machines with positronic brains doing all the work but the fiction is getting close to reality.

We are social animals yet we are rapidly reducing our points of human contact. The idea of helpful and time-saving do-it-yourself technology is not what bothers me. It’s the growing lack of human connection I don’t like.

6 comments:

Ian said...

I actually hate that commercial, because nobody should be made to feel inferior for using cash.

I like cash. I like to hold it. I like to be surrounded by it. If I have enough, I like to dump it into the tub and roll around in it.

Want to cause a stir? The next time you go to buy anything costing more than a couple hundred dollars, try to pay cash for it. People freak out.

Ian

Lee said...

I almost always use my debit card. It's easy and convienient...but there's always something about having that green paper in your pocket that makes you feel good.

I understand what you mean about losing that human touch. I hate having to "talk" with an automated voice on the phone, I miss full service gas stations, and I love it when someone bags my groceries and carries them to my car for me.

I remember when I would go to the bank and I knew every teller there. There was even a time when if I wrote a check over my balance, someone from the bank would call me so it wouldn't bounce and I could deposit some cash before it went through. How's that for a personal touch?!

Jefferson said...

That commercial even makes the cash look dirty, as it is crumpled up in one corner. I do some work with www.unfaircreditcardfees.com, and the last thing I want to see is a cashless society. Visa and Mastercard already have more fees and charges than I can count, many of which are predatory and unethical, so I can only imagine what new fees they would dream up if they were the only method of payment.

Bernie said...

Ian - I like to fool around with cash too but the most expensive thing I've bought with it during the past 5 or 10 years cost less than hundred dollars. But after 9/11 I started carrying more cash than I used to just in case a terrorist blew up the east coast power grid - no ATMs would work. (of course no gas pumps or computerized cash registers would work either, so what's the point).

Lee - I miss real bank tellers who actually knew you. When Bank of America bought my bank, all of that went away. Now they're trying a "new" idea - real people greet you at the door of the branch bank. Nice touch, but I only go into a bank about twice a year.

Jefferson - welcome. Are you real or a computer that scans for blogs about money? Your blog has absolutely nothing on it except your name. :)

velvet said...

I use plastic for most of my purchases except for the money that I spend on my weekly nights out (easier to limit my spending when I have a fixed amount of cash in my wallet).

I hear you on the convenience factor, but do you know what I like about buying with cash? That nobody out there is tracking my purchase and gathering marketing information about my buying habits like they actually do with cards.

As for the lack of the human contact through all this technology, I find the whole thing rather unsettling. Isn't that what life is really about? Interacting with other people? It's sad what we call progress sometimes.

Anonymous said...

hey bernie...how are you doing? this is meander here...well actually i changed my name and blog. i am starting up fresh. stop on by any old time. i am ready to blog again.