Sunday, April 29, 2007

Road Trip – Some Good Stuff

OK, so Wednesday was emotionally rough for me. But the rest of the week was much better.

Thursday night my sister and I had dinner at Peppermill’s, a suburban restaurant we both like and the site of many a family outing. For a few years during the 80s and 90s, every visit home included Sunday brunch there with her and our parents. The last time she and I ate there was with Mom on the day of Dad’s funeral more than five years ago. There are good things happening in my sister’s life in spite of the difficulties with rehabbing her house so we had great things to talk about.

On Friday I called my best friend from high school. We still exchange Christmas and birthday cards every year but it had been at least ten years since we had seen each other. He and his wife are both retired now (in their 50s – how DID they do that?) and I spent several hours with them.

Saturday was my day at the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival. It had been twenty years since I went to Jazzfest. I met another friend there and we sampled the music, food and ambience that make this such a great event. I met two local artists whose paintings I love and respect and I bumped into two people I worked with when I live here who bought the best sno-ball place in New Orleans 28 years ago. I also picked up a few souvenirs and got a little sunburned. What a great day!

Through all three days in the New Orleans area I spent quality time with the cousins who I stayed with. I spent a week with them on my last visit here too and we’ve had a chance to get to know each other and catch up on the nearly thirty years in which we had little contact.

This morning I met my sister for breakfast and now I’m on the road home.

Although the timing of this road trip centered around Jazzfest, the purpose was more than music. I wanted to continue the “reconnect with my past” project I started around my 50th birthday. I chose driving over flying because I wanted to feel the distance and ... s l o w ... d o w n ... t h e ... p a c e ... o f ... m y ... l i f e ... a ... l i t t l e.

I’m feeling good today.

6 comments:

velvet said...

You went to JazzFest... how awesome!

It must have been great to hit the road and take things more slowly. In our rush to reach our destinations as quickly as possible these days, it's nice to see someone who's actually taking in the journey. Sounds great. :)

Bernie said...

Yep. I don't often get to enjoy the journey as well as the destination. This has been a great journey.

Carol Blymire said...

Me = jealous of your vacation. Sounds perfect.

Lee said...

I am sooo glad that you had the opportunity to ENJOY yourself some while you were on your trip. I know how much you love New Orleans and it would be a shame for you to go down there and not have some good times.

Lee

Bernie said...

Diner Girl - it turned out to be one my favorite vacations ever. I've only been back home a few hours and I'm ready to go again.

Lee - Thanks. This was certainly better than my last trip there. :)

Anonymous said...

i am so glad you are feeling good! you sound refreshed in spirit and body.