Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Thanks For The Roads, Ike

Fifty-somethings might recall that Dwight Eisenhower was President during our early youth. Ike, as he was known, had been a General in Europe during World War II and noticed that the 4-lane German Autobahns built in the 1930s were much more efficient than the typical highways in the U.S.

There were already plans for an improved national highway system, but Ike convinced the nation that good highways were a national issue more than a state issue. His leadership and the efforts of several members of Congress (including Senator Al Gore, Sr.) resulted in the Federal-Aid Highway Act of 1956. Road design standards were upgraded to anticipate traffic pattern forecasts for 1975 and the Federal Government paid for most of the construction costs.



Some differences between Interstate Highways of the 50s and now: cloverleaf interchanges have been replaced by more sophisticated designs; on-ramps are generally longer; signage has improved significantly, with early warnings of upcoming exits … And most exits outside of major metropolitan areas have signs pointing the way to hotels, gas stations and fast-food restaurants (Wow, McDonalds is only .3 miles to the right. I’m lovin’ it.)

My recent 3000-mile trip along stretches of I-95, I-40, I-59, I-10 and I-81 confirms my belief that the system is pretty good overall. Not perfect, but so much better than in our youth.

Thanks for the roads, Ike.

1 comment:

Ian said...

I recall when I was in Florida, I was amazed at the lack of warning of approaching exits on the highways. It was like, what's the point of saying there's an exit five feet before the actual exit. I hated driving in Florida.

Out here, you get warnings starting 4 miles away, which lends to its own confusion if you're not used to it. "Wait, was that it or was that the one a quarter mile before it?"

Ian