Saturday, April 05, 2008

Sure, I Can Do That Too

Do you ever feel like this on your job:
You get more work, you figure out a way to handle the volume. Then you get more, and again you figure it out. You love the pace and excitement, but even more importantly, you don’t want your managers to think you’re not a team player. “Sure, I can do that too.”

Your company, like many other companies in this stockholder-driven, monster-profits-no-matter-what world of big business, cuts back the workforce. Not the workload, just the number of people doing the work. Jobs are lost, but the duties performed by those people who were laid off must still be done. And guess who is doing that work? You! On top of the work you were already doing.

This cycle hits Boomers especially hard. We don’t ever want to look like we can’t keep up. We are certainly capable of performing at this level, but many of us question the sanity of this practice. Silently, of course.

Does your job sometimes feel like Lucy and Ethel in this well-known TV show scene?



I love my job; by most measures it’s the best one I’ve ever had. But I barely crack a smile when I see this video. Mostly I picture myself trying to figure out how I can wrap all the candies and keep the job.

1 comment:

Brenda said...

Reminds me of a job I left several years ago after over eight years of "successfully" accumulating more and more duties. They now have four people to handle that workload ... and they're in the process of hiring a fifth. Part of me wants to return the corporate world because I miss working in teams. But the sticking point is I don't know how to avoid the very trap you describe ... except for learning to move on every few years.