Friday, July 14, 2006

Definitely this time. Maybe.

Education was a top priority in my family, in part because so few in my parents’ generation completed college. My Dad had a successful career as an electrical and mechanical engineer and draftsman with a GED, some “trade school” classes and plenty of self-education. He encouraged my sister and me to go to college and paid for it so there would be no college loans to worry about.

I eagerly began college just weeks after high school graduation. By the following summer I was already in trouble, not sure what I wanted to study. I changed major every semester and was quickly losing motivation. I stuck with it for two more years, but dropped out with at least a year to go in any major.

That was in the 1970s. I have had a successful multi-decade career in the media since then and only once did the lack of a college degree hold me back. But I have always viewed this as unfinished business.

So this fall I am going back to school!

At least I think I am. I have made and broken this promise to myself on a regular basis since 1999. Time and money are my usual excuses, but neither is a very good one. I certainly have time to take one class each semester, especially because I can get a degree entirely online. No traffic jam excuses for getting to class on time, no schedule conflict with work. One class at the University of Maryland doesn’t cost all that much for Maryland residents and I can charge it.

I’m writing all this here to state publicly to my 4000 readers … uh, I mean 4 readers … that I plan to go through with it this time.

You are my witnesses. I will keep you up to date on my progress.

Please cheer me on if I go through with it, kick me in the butt if I bail out.

There is an open house next week, during which I can ask advisors the burning questions that I’m sure returning Boomers have, such as: Does the Math class I took in the 1970s count toward a History degree in the 2000s?

The cool thing about returning to college in my f-f-fifties is that I can get a degree in History or Humanities just because I want to, not because I can do anything with it.

Go Terps!!

3 comments:

Ian said...

Go, Bernie! Get that degree. Or, if you want to bypass the hassle of classes, I get emails every day advertising the credentials without the effort. Right in between the Nigerian money laundering requests and the offers to expand my, um, manhood.

Seriously, good luck, and I'll certainly be a thorn in your side if you need it.

I

Max and Me said...

oh that is wonderful! i am thinking of doing something similar myself. just passing through...found you through mister ian! cheers!

Carol Blymire said...

As your 3rd reader, I say GO FOR IT.