Saturday, July 29, 2006

What A Drag It Is Getting Old

Doctor please, some more of these
Outside the door, she took four more
What a drag it is getting old


Part of that song lyric applies to me this month, and not because I actually remember hearing that particular Rolling Stones song when it was new.

I mentioned in an earlier post that I twisted the wrong way lifting weights during my vacation, an action which resulted in significant leg pain. It is four weeks later and I’m still limping, although things are much better than then. I finally went to the doctor a few days ago and I now know what the problem is: sciatica. Actually I knew this before he said it, thanks to a well-read wife and some obsessive Google searching on my part.

According to one very helpful website, sciatica is usually caused by pressure on the sciatic nerve from a herniated disc (also referred to as a ruptured disc, pinched nerve, slipped disk, etc.).

My doctor couldn’t determine the exact cause, but he thinks that the weight-lifting event may have pinched a nerve or something like that. He prescribed some miracle drug and says if things do not improve by my follow-up visit next week, I should get an MRI. Things have already improved, so maybe that won’t be necessary.

But here is something that bothers me almost as much as the limping: everyone boomer age and above that I described this to knew exactly what I was talking about. Most of my younger friends and coworkers generally had no clue. Even though sciatica most frequently affects 30 – 50 year olds, the term seems to be more associated with those over 50. If you know me (or read this blog), you know I’m obsessed with age issues and with convincing myself that I’m only as old as I look and act and not as old as I really am.

Fortunately I’m an optimist and I won’t end in the same place as the subject of the afore-mentioned Rolling Stones song. I fully expect to be walking straight, working out and off the meds soon. Then I can whine about, uh, I mean observe some other boomer issue.

3 comments:

Ian said...

My wife has suffered from occasional sciatica since the birth of our last child three years ago. She is approaching her 33rd birthday, so I have some inkling of how you must feel.

However, compared to the health of, say, her parents and mine, you come across as being in exceptionally good shape. And in the end, it really only matters how old you feel. :)

Ian

Max and Me said...

oh you are not old...you stop that right now! see nowadays...50 is like the 40 and by the time you are 60 you will be like 30...see how this works? lots to look forward to...absolutely.

Bernie said...

Thanks, Meander. I like your logic. I rarely feel old. And like Ian said in his comment, it really only matters how old you feel.