Sunday, July 09, 2006

Fifty is the new 40, except when …

The idea that 50 is the new 40 was probably first spoken by someone like me who refuses to accept stereotypical aging restrictions. Most 50-somethings I know do not look, act or feel like those who were 50 when we were 30.

The problem with believing that I’m 10 or 15 years younger than I really am is that I sometimes forget that at least one aspect of being 50 lingers: the body can’t take punishment like it used to.

I’m in pretty good shape. I use a treadmill and weights several days during a typical week. Sometimes, however, schedules and commitments get in the way of life, and last week was one of those weeks. Actually, I missed my workouts for two weeks. When I started up again last Wednesday, I picked up where I left off, using the same amount of weights and repetitions as I had during my previous workout.

What a mistake.

I woke up with some muscle discomfort on Thursday, but walked around a museum for two hours anyway. Another mistake. I woke up in pain on Friday. Long story short, the muscles through my entire left leg hurt and I could hardly walk. I had done too much too soon, like a 35-year old, and I must have twisted something.

The weather was beautiful on Saturday, but I stayed home, still in pain. Today is Sunday and I am only limping a little. I feel so much better. Maybe I'll jump on the treadmill.

Maybe not. I don’t want 50 to be the new 80.

No comments: