Sunday, February 11, 2007

Roxxxxannne

I haven’t seen the Grammy Awards for years, but I plan to watch tonight to see the Police.


Word is they have reunited for more than just this performance; they’re planning a tour this year. They are one of the few 1970s/1980s groups to break up while on top (in 1984) and they left us wanting more. All three members continued to be creatively active, but Sting’s career might have been as successful as the band’s was. I’ve been to a Sting concert, but never saw the Police live.

The Boomer band reunion trend has been strong for more than a decade now, but most of those reunions have been short-lived. The question, of course: Is it about the music or the money?

Some Boomers in their fifties seek to reconnect with their past. Some try to live there or recreate the era. Some feel younger when in throwback mode. Many fans of those bands experience that same range of feelings.

By the way, Sting is 56 years old.

Other reunion notes:

- Van Halen is also planning a reunion tour this year, with David lee Roth returning to the lead singer position for first time since 1984. Sammy Hagar sang lead with the group for several years, left in 1996, briefly returned but left again over a conflict with Eddie Van Halen. Rolling Stone Magazine says original bassist Michael Anthony has been replaced by Eddie’s 15-year-old son. The band, with all members past and present, will be inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, but who knows who will show up for the ceremony.

- Boomer-era bands that have reunited in some form or another include Motley Crue, Black Sabbath, the Eagles, and Crosby Stills & Nash. Eric Clapton’s trio Cream reunited for a four-night stand, but that was all.

- Bands that might reunite: Genesis (with Phil Collins?) and Journey; there is even a rumored Led Zeppelin reunion

- The Who have been on again-off again, the Rolling Stones never stopped (but maybe should have). Bob Seger is on the road again.

- Thankfully Abba turned down tons of money to reunite. But wasn’t there a Broadway Musical-style tour based on their music?

- VH-1’s 2004 show Bands Reunited featured many 80s bands (A Flock of Seagulls, Berlin, Information Society and others), but those aren’t quite the Boomer generation favorites.

Although it appears the Police reunion is genuine, my skeptical side leads me to note two more things. One, a new Sting CD/DVD comes out this Tuesday. Two, Sting is featured on a PBS Great Performances show in two weeks.

The media machine rolls on …

I hope that someone gets my
Message in a bottle, yeah

8 comments:

Ian said...

I'll take this moment to note that Rush never has broken up either, and that they're releasing their 24th studio or live album later this year.

Why haven't they been inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame? Makes you wonder...

Ian

Bernie said...

I had no idea they were still together. They should be in the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame for their endurance if nothing else.

I saw them once ... three time, actually. A radio staiton I worked for in Chicago in 1981 was involved in a 4-night sold-out stand at some arena there and I went the first 3 nights. Met them backstage (not great conversationalists).

Ian said...

The Rush In Rio DVD is worth checking out - probably their best live concert ever. The R30 show is pretty good too.

Ian

Holli Lama said...

Bernie! The Police are supposedly going to come somewhere near the Baltimore/DC area! I hope, I hope. I have seen Sting 3 or 4 times but rather see the Police! Crowded House is supposed to be reunioning again as well.

Bernie said...

Ian - thanks, I'll have to check that out.

Holli - let me know if you hear more about that. I heard they're playing New York 9Madison Square Garden in August), but hadn't heard DC/Balto area. Guess that would narrow it doen to Nissan Pavillion, Verizon Center or First Mariner (or Merriweather Post Pavillion, which is where I saw Sting years ago).

velvet said...

Wow, the Police... that would be a show to see. I also saw Sting, but would love to see all of the Police together.

-velvet

Carol Blymire said...

I will pay major bigtime cash money to see the Police. I've held off on scheduling my summer vacay until all their tour dates are announced....... I may need to be on meds.

Bernie said...

Tickets aren't even on sale yet, but tickets brokers already are taking orders, at significantly inflated prices.

I haven't decided yet how much is too much to pay for them but this is definitely a must-see show.