Sunday, February 04, 2007

A Super Bowl Post

The Super Bowl was born in 1967, three years too late to be called a Boomer.

The Super Bowl lawyers and marketing people go after anyone who uses the Super Bowl name without permission … in other words, without paying for that usage. My radio station and our clients cannot call a Super Bowl party a Super Bowl party; we have to call it the Big Game.

My opinion: that’s stupid. If some bar in Rockville, Maryland wants to have a Super Bowl party, the NFL isn’t going to lose any money and no customer will think it’s an officially-licensed NFL party. No one will care either, except the Super Bowl lawyers and marketing people.

I guess that means I could get a cease and desist order for calling this a Super Bowl post. Do you, as one of my dozen faithful readers, think this post is an official NFL post?

A few more things:

When the Colts were the BALTIMORE Colts they played in two of the first five Super Bowls and won one of them. The Colts left Baltimore the same week I moved there, so I didn’t experience the fanaticism first-hand, but many Baltimore people still consider the Colts their team.

Washington, my favorite team, has played in five Super Bowls and won three of those. The Saints, a very close second on my fave list, haven’t been there yet.

Chicago kept the Saints out of the Super Bowl this year, so I’m cheering for Indianapolis.

My wife and I often have my “birthday dinner” on Super Bowl Sunday because the restaurants are so empty. We were one of only two couples in the whole restaurant tonight – cool, ey?

2 comments:

velvet said...

Your radio station can't call it a Super Bowl party? Oh, that's just silly. I would never, ever associate any of these things with the Super Bowl. (Wait, am I allowed to even type "Super Bowl" without their permission? See you in the clink!)

Smart dining plans. :)

-velvet

furiousBall said...

Extremely crappy of the NFL to do this kinda stuff.

I've driven past the old Colts practice field, I think it's in Cockyesville, MD?