Monday, August 13, 2007

Boomerandomness 3

That's Right

On a TV newscast, you often hear one anchor say to another “that’s right” in response to the opening sentence of a story. “There are delays at the airport, John.” “That’s right, Mary and people are angry.” Just once, I’d like to hear the anchor say, “actually, that’s NOT right, Mary.”


Seen It All

From time to time you hear someone make the statement “now I’ve seen it all” to describe some incredible, unbelievable behavior they have just witnessed. Well I can safely say that now I really have seen it all. The behavior I observed recently: a guy driving a motorcycle at a high rate of speed in heavy traffic during afternoon drive in I-270 in Maryland did a wheelie. I mean this guy, while weaving in and out of heavy traffic, passing cars that were already doing 65-70 in a 55 mph speed zone, popped up on just his rear wheel and sped up even more, looking back as if to say look at what I’m doing! Isn’t this cool? I question whether or not this guy should have the right to drive. Or breathe.


Just Do It

In response to the recent bridge collapse in Minneapolis, one expert was quoted as saying that it would cost about $9 billion a year for twenty years to completely fix all the substandard bridges and roadways in the United States. OK, what are we waiting for? Get started. And don’t tell me the country can’t afford it. The Iraq war is costing almost $9 billion per MONTH!

5 comments:

Ian said...

Just once I'd like to hear ANY newscaster that isn't Dan Aykroyd say "Jane, you ignorant slut!"

Ian

velvet said...

On "Just do it": they're balking at fixing the bridges because of the money? What do we pay taxes for?! Oh, wait. They cut taxes to win votes and now they don't have the spare cash to do it. Idiots.


Sorry. Just a little micro-rant.

Bernie said...

Ian - LOL! I agree!

Velvet - I agree with your micro-rant. One day I'll do a macro-rant on my feelings about what the government spends and doesn't spend our money on.

Rhea said...

I agree about the bridge repair in the U.S. We've been hearing stories about faulty infrastructure for years. We are a huge accident waiting to happen!

Bernie said...

Rhea - You're from the Boston area, aren't you? So you've got bridges AND that big dig tunnel that has already had safety problems. I'm in the DC area - over 200 bridges, many of them quite old. Definitely an accident waiting to happen.