Monday, August 27, 2007

I Finally Did It

If you were hanging out with me around this time last year, you might remember that I was seriously considering a return to college. You might also remember that I wimped out at the last minute with the same excuse I've used for decades - don't have the time. It's a valid excuse, but an excuse just the same.

Well this year I quietly did the research, filled out the forms and took the online tutorial class and as of today, I am officially a student at the University of Maryland University College.

I'll begin my return to higher education with online classes, something that didn't exist when I left school in the 1970s. I was in my third year of college, had changed majors at least five times and was on and off probation. I sat out a year, returned for a semester, made the Dean's list and dropped out again.

Like many Boomers, I am a life-long learner but I've always felt that not getting my degree was unfinished business. A degree might have helped me along the way - I don't really know.

I have declared History as my major because I like it. My fantasy future job in my 60s or 70s is to produce documentaries, so a History background could help me then. My current job is writing, producing and voiceing radio commercials. It's a stretch to think this degree will have much influence on this career.

At this point in my life, however, a degree is just for me and not for my career.

Go Terps!!

9 comments:

Lee said...

YAY Bernie!!! Congratulations on your enrollment and good luck!
I'll be rooting you on from the bloggy world!

Lee

elizinashe said...

YEA!! Good for you for venturing back out into the college world!! I don't have my degree either..I hated class and didn't have a clear picture as to what I wanted to do with my life career wise so I left and ended up in the 'mixology world'. I don't regret it. Now I want better things for my future. Although I probably won't pursue the field I'd still like to complete my undergrad in psychology. I want that piece of paper on my wall, I've certainly earned it through slinging drinks for a number of 'clients '!! :) Good for you for doing what you want!! elizinashe

Holli Lama said...

Congrats Bernie! That is awesome!!!

Ian said...

Hey, awesome! Congratulations, Bernie!

Now...

You be careful if you're thinking of joining any of those Fraternities. I hear the hazing rituals are MURDER. :P

Ian

Bernie said...

Lee, Eliz and Holli - thanks. I'll keep you posted on my progress.

Ian - thanks. I wonder if the hazing is bad with online fraternities. :)

DeeJay said...

good on you Bernie
Keep us posted with progress

Kim's World said...

Congrats on going back to school! Its a huge step and you'll do great. Is everything on-line or will you have some classes on campus?

Carol Blymire said...

It's about f-ing time. :)

Bernie said...

Age - thanks, I will keep you posted.

Kim - thanks. I can take most classes online, but I'd like to schedule classroom classes too. Initially, however, online.

Diner Girl - you're right. I think I've been talking about this for the whole year and a half I've known you.