Thursday, January 10, 2008

Dark

It has been officially winter for almost three weeks, but the dreary, depressing part has, as always, been delayed by the bright and cheerful Holidays. Here in Maryland, Mother Nature took an extended vacation for a few days, leaving us with record warm temperatures this week and delaying the inevitable.

But the first real sign of winter isn’t the weather; it is that day when we notice that the Christmas lights are gone. That day was last weekend.

I live in a one-block-long suburban subdivision surrounded by farms. There are about 20 or 30 houses on the street and most of the families decorate with typical bright lights for Christmas. Some displays are simple, tasteful electric candles in the windows, others are white lights lining the roofline and still others lean toward the Griswold strategy (some years that would be us). Through most of December the street is bright and joyful each night, providing a wonderful welcome home as I end my long commute from work.

Now the street is dark. There are no street lights on this street, further emphasizing the darkness.

The Christmas lights are down and stored till next fall. Reality has hit.

As I write this on Thursday night it is raining and 38 degrees, the forecast calls for normal seasonal temps over the weekend and spring is months away.

Winter is here.

And it’s dark.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Here in Colorado, Its been getting dark by about 4:30. The sad part is I leave the office at about 5:00. I've been taking my dogs out for shorter walk because the Coyotes and owls may attack them.

But, my favorite thing about winter is I can Cross Country Ski on the back paths of my neighborhood.

Synchronicity said...

yeah i hear ya...spring and light seem so far away. winter can be cozy though and...good for snuggling. by the way...i love your profile picture...now i can see what you look like.