Thursday, January 03, 2008

Weight A Minute

Who the heck would start a diet in the middle of the Winter Eating Season?

Oh, uhhh … ME.

If you are a Boomer, you’ve probably heard the term “middle age spread.” It is a phrase my parents used to describe the weight gain they experienced in their 50s and 60s. They considered middle age spread to be an inevitable part of aging. Although most people actually do gain weight as they grow older, it is not a must do part of life and we don’t really have to accept this.

The issue isn’t that we gain weight as much as it is that we often let the weight gain get out of control. Obesity is a leading cause of diabetes, heart disease and numerous problems. And one doesn’t have to be the size of Santa Claus to be considered obese.

A few years ago my doctor told me my weight was about 20 pounds more than it should be for my height. I started a diet and exercise plan and lost about 10 pounds. Two summers ago I overdid a workout and hurt myself enough that I stopped working out and walking the treadmill for several months. My eating and exercise have been inconsistent ever since.

I gained back the ten pounds and then some. I am not Santa sized, but I am 25 pounds over my recommended weight. This is not acceptable.

So I started early on a New Year’s Resolution to get my health back on track. The week before Christmas, I started a diet and got back on the treadmill. Yes, that is crazy, but the timing was perfect because I didn’t do my usual holiday binge. So far, so good.

Here’s the specific goal, published for all to see:

- Lose 10 pounds by the end of April

- Lose 10 more pounds by the end of August

- Lose the last 5 by Thanksgiving.

My biggest problems with food are portion control, ice cream and the vending machine at work.

So here’s the plan:

- Watch what I eat – quit laughing so hard. What I have to do, and this really works for me, is to pay attention, savor the bites, and don’t “clean the plate.” Sorry, but Mom was wrong with that advice 40-something years ago. I can always save something for leftovers the next day.

- A couple of spoons of ice cream, my delicious, precious ice cream, are as good as the whole pint. Great taste, less filling.

- Don’t ever put money in the vending machine at work. Excuse me, machines with an s – there are at least five of them in my company’s parts of the building.

As for exercise, I have no excuse. A comfortable, working treadmill lives in my basement, right next to a set of dumbbells and a weight bench. The plan … vigorous exercise for 30 minutes a day, 4 or 5 days a week.

A parallel fitness goal is that I plan to walk in at least two charity walkathons this year, specifically the Help The Homeless DC Walkathon and the Kidney Foundation Walkathon, both in mid fall in Washington, DC. I have friends who participate in both and I interview the organizers on the radio every year, so I have no excuse for not participating this year.

I started this plan three weeks ago, and so far have hit every goal. Wish me luck.

3 comments:

Kim's World said...

Keeping a food diary is also a great way to keep track of what you eat and drink. Be very specific about jotting it down, ie: 5 almonds or 5 M&M's and it will really help control your portions and you'll see where you overindulge or where you can replace junk food with healthier snacks.

Good luck!

Bernie said...

Hmmmm - 5 M&Ms. That would taste so good at this point. I stood infront of the vending machine today staring at the M&M bag. Did NOT buy it or anything else in the machine.

Good idea about the diary.

Kim - you're so thin. How do you know about this stuff? :)

Linda V. said...

Hey Bernie!

Go for it - I know you can do it. Keeping a diary is just how Weight Watchers tells us "if it goes in the smacker, it goes on the tracker". Harold & I joined about 10 weeks ago, and have lost 12 & 10 lbs. Your plan is a good one. However, you can indulge once in a while, it helps prevent a binge when you are at a weak point. Just remember "moderation" in all things!
Love you!
Linda