Tuesday, June 17, 2008

My Summer Staycation

Trendy vocabulary is often annoying, but the new buzz word staycation is amazingly timely and accurate.

Because of the high price of gasoline this summer, many Americans are choosing to stay close to home for their vacation. I am one of them.

Spending my vacation at home is nothing new for me, however. I’ve done it several times in the 2000s. Instead of travelling, I work on big house projects and take a break on one or two days to do some local sightseeing. Using a combination of car and subway, I can reach the heart of our Nation’s Capitol in just over an hour. Driving for seventy minutes in another direction and I can explore Ft. McHenry in Baltimore, the grounds over which the rocket’s red glare inspired our National Anthem. A thirty minute drive in one of three other directions will take me to a noteworthy Civil War battlefield.


While I’m around the house this week, I hope to catch up on some landscaping projects and repaint my home office. The most significant item on my list, however, is my plan to replace my aging SUV with a more fuel-efficient vehicle. After that task is done, I can look forward to a future vacation.

No comments: