Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Old and Young Mindset

Velvet made a very interesting observation on her blog recently about old and young mindsets. I’d like to expand on it a bit.

She said her husband thanked her for introducing him to new things and keeping him in a younger mindset. She went on to say that many of her peers are set in their ways and “many of them have sort of frozen themselves in the era that they came of age. Why is that?”

I think I know why, or at least part of why.

Several friends and acquaintances, especially the fifty-somethings, seem stuck where they were at the dawn of adulthood. They like the same music and hate the new stuff. They like doing things like they’ve always done them and reject the thought that a new way could be better. They reached many conclusions about life in their twenties and believe that what they knew at that point is all they need to know. It was good enough then so it must be good enough now too. They have little interest in trying new things and often struggle to adapt to changes, regardless of the potential positive value of those changes.

The period just before coming of age is a volatile and memorable time of life and when we survive it, we ultimately feel invincible and bulletproof. Later on, when life throws us its inevitable curves, we seek security in that time when we thought we knew it all.

The paradox is that we look back at a time of constant change in our lives as something solid and secure, forgetting that it was neither. To those who are frozen, I say hit the defrost button.

Velvet also asks, “Shouldn't life continue to be an adventure of discovery?”

My answer is yes! We should embrace many of the changes we face as well as the challenge of change. At the very least we should accept the possibility that change can be good. We should give change a fair shake, even if we ultimately decide to stay the course. In some ways an adventure of discovery can be scary, but it can also feel a lot like our coming of age time; a time when we sought change and believed that anything was possible.

That was a great, exhilarating feeling then; why not feel it now? It’s a matter of mindset.

7 comments:

DeeJay said...

I couldn't agree more
When people ask me why I keep trying something new at my age such as learning to ride a motorcycle, taking up the guitar etc I simply ask the 'stick in the muds' "When was the last time you did something that you have never done before?"

Linda V. said...

AMEN! Life is an adventure, and until we know different, the only one we get. A few years back I had an opportunity to go to Alaska, but no one could go with me, so I planned to go on my own. My mom advised me to wait. My answer? Wait for what, Mom? Needless to say, I went, and had the time of my LIFE! A little common sense, some planning, and change can be a catalyst for even greater things in life. Life is a journey, not a destination (someone once said?)

Synchronicity said...

what a wonderful post...yes keep exploring and making discoveries. one must evolve to stay young.

Brenda said...

It has long seemed to me that people who have been parents always tended to get "stuck" in safe mode. I always assuming it stemmed from wanting to provide safety and security for their partner and offspring ... and wanting to provide a trusted set of answers to their children on those "BIG" questions of life. Not having children, I've been able to live my life a little more freely ... more experimentally by comparision. I'll have to think on this some more ... and ask around!

Bernie said...

deejay - I didn't realize you started riding at an older age - good for you!! I see how much you love your motorcycle every time I visit your blog.

Linda - I forgot your Alaska trip was solo. Are you still a storm-chaser too? Yes, life is a journey.

merelyme - you're a great role model for staying young in the face of life challenges that would age anyone.

brenda - Yes, think on that one and ask around. We don't have kids either, and I've been told by friends who are parents that not having kids can keep you young. Although there are also many downsides to not having kids too and sometimes I regret never becoming a parent.

Lady Prism said...

Aiks'..yes..I find myself in the same scenario some times..just stuck to how things used to be..I don't look like it though..stuck'..and it surprises me when people who dearly love me point it out. And so yes, I must agree.

.

Linda V. said...

Yep, still a storm chaser - just yesterday in fact, followed a wall cloud in Sturtevant. Still rescuing wildlife - just picked up two orphaned coyote pups last week. And then I married a military man! Married life, now there's an adventure!