Tuesday, May 27, 2008

OK, THIS Makes Me Feel Old

Here is a headline for a story in a broadcasting industry website I visit daily: Lynyrd Skynyrd Keyboardist Undergoes Hip Replacement Surgery.

You don't even need to hear the details in the story to understand what I mean, do you?

These guys were a big deal in the early days of my radio career. In fact, I was on the air the night their plane crashed in Mississippi in the mid 70s and played nothing but their music all night. Many of the country music singers I now love were influenced by their country-flavored Southern rock sound and many country songs refer to them or their music. The remaining members still play.

But the thought that their keyboard guy had a hip replacement is almost too much to handle. How old are those guys anyway?

10 comments:

Ian said...

Free bird! ;)

Bernie said...

Still one of my favorite songs!

velvet said...

Oh, that's funny.

Yet NOT.

Bernie said...

I took a little kidding for breaking my hip in my 40s; I was the youngest patient that surgeon had ever had for that kind of operation. But I had an excuse other than age; I fell down a flight of stairs.

morgs said...

hmmm...this puts my "old" birthday into perspective on monday...LOL...

Hope you're well!
morgs

Bernie said...

Morgs - old?! Are you even 30 yet?
Great to hear from you. I realize you knew about this blog. Email me on one of my other email addresses some time and let's catch up. Hope all is well in Nashville.

elizinashe said...

Those guys must be really ancient compared to you! And hey, the Rolling Stones are in their sixties, or at least I think so and Tina Turner is over 65 I know! She's close to my mother's age. It's just a number. Who's ready to boogie??

Bernie said...

Not ancient compared to me, but definitely older. :) Yep, the Stones are in their 60s. I went to one of Tina Turner's farewell concerts a few years ago ... a hot show!! Hard to believe she's in her 60s.

morgs said...

hahaha, I turn 26 tomorrow ;oD I'll holla and we can get caught up!

Synchronicity said...

wow...that is hard to believe. where does the time go?