Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Meat

Fifty-something Boomers certainly remember the menu of our youth. Burgers, steak, pork chops, ham, more burgers. Occasionally Mom cooked chicken (once a week in my house) and fish (on Fridays – we were Catholic), but the main meat staple was good old fashioned American red meat.

Steak with butter-drenched baked potatoes, burgers with mayo and ketchup-coated fries, fried pork chops. Oh wait, I forgot all about bacon with eggs for breakfast. And hot dogs for lunch.

Not so anymore, at least not in my house. My wife is a vegetarian so that means only one person is a meat-eater in our home. And I read a lot of health articles so I have convinced myself that red meat should not be part of my daily diet. Red meat is a rare treat.

This evening I treated myself to a Big Mac.



Not just any meat for me. Noooo. Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun! It has been at least two years since I’ve had one of those. Yummy. Sometimes I cook burgers on the grill at home, but I usually get lean beef and I go easy on the condiments. But that giant, full color, backlit, poster-sized photograph of the Big Mac was too much to resist. Yes, I will have fries with that.

If you know how many calories that adds up to, please don’t tell me. Breakfast was cereal and low fat yogurt (like it is every morning), lunch was a chicken sandwich on whole wheat bread with an apple for a snack. I deserved a break today.

5 comments:

elizinashe said...

Good for you! You must always treat yourself to a little something every now and then...Hooray for Meat!! :)

Bernie said...

Any good steak places in your town? When I visited there last year, the only red meat I had was a pepperoni pizza at the Mellow Mushroom. :)

elizinashe said...

We have a lot of chain restaurants now,(bleh) but we do have some good local fare too. East Village Grille is my fave..there are some nice places downtown but can be a bit pricey...hope you make it back sometime! We have plenty of Mickey D's around as well...ha-ha.

Bernie said...

I think I ate at a Mickey D's in Asheville Mall ... or maybe it was a Burger King. I might be in town for 2 days in June; can I interest you in coffee or lunch? I'll send references to prove I'm not a psycho. :) Your friend Lee might have my email address. Otherwise I can post it here. Let me know.

elizinashe said...

That would be cool! Let me know when you'll be around. I'll ask Lee for your email and if I can't find it there I'll let you know! I know of a lovely coffee house with some wonderful desserts!! mmmm... and hey! There is a McDonald's on the next block!