Monday, May 05, 2008

$3.69 Per Gallon Today

I don’t really have to write the rest of this post, do I? The title just about says it all. I paid $3.45 at this same gas station less than two weeks ago.

As high as these record-setting gasoline prices are, people in some other parts of the world might be laughing at our reaction. According to CNN Money, gas in the UK, for example, is the equivalent of $8 a gallon. Rulers of a few oil-producing countries might be laughing at us for other reasons. Gas in Saudi Arabia and Iran sells for 50 cents a gallon or less; it’s only 12 cents a gallon in Venezuela.

These gas price comparisons aren’t perfect, of course, and the article explains why, but they do illustrate the bottom line: gas costs a whole lot more in some countries and a whole lot less in others, and it’s a lot higher here than it was just last week. Fifty cents a gallon or more than this week last year.

This web site has tips for getting better fuel economy. One of the best ways to save money on gas, however, is to use mass transit. I’m going to take a shot at that again soon.

2 comments:

Ian said...

I've looked into other options for my 16-mile commute down the eastern edge of the metro area besides driving. My daily commute takes me about thirty minutes or so.

There is no carpool or vanpool route which runs from my neighborhood to where I work.

I could take a bus which would get me to a mile away from my work (that's the closest I can get), but it would take me two hours, not counting the walking time. So for a typical ten-hour shift where I'm away from home for eleven hours, that would turn into fifteen hours, meaning I lose four hours of time to spend with my family/work around the house/work on writing projects (yes, I know you can write on the bus, but I need internet for so much of what I do).

Not worth it.

Ian

Brenda said...

Grrr! I just filled up at the gas station ... over $5o! It's time to price motorcycles!