Monday, May 26, 2008

$3.89

I paid $3.89 per gallon for regular this morning. The saddest part is that this amount is below the new national average. The station on the other side of the Interstate was selling regular for $3.98.

My friend at AAA reluctantly says that we shouldn't be surprised if it hits $5 this year.

Are you old enough to remember the gas lines in 1973? There were shortages that year so this is still better. In '73 there were odd day and even day fill up restrictions based on the last digit in the license plate number. In some places, gas stations that were usually open every day were closing one or two days a week.

I hope we don't get to that point.

6 comments:

Linda V. said...

$4.05 in Racine, same in Milwaukee. It's ridiculous. Having a small business like pet-sitting means driving around to client homes, and gas prices this high preclude taking clients that may live a little further away. It also means increasing rates. Small businesses are really feeling the effects. My cheap pet taxi service for the elderly & disabled will not be as cheap for long.

velvet said...

I saw $4.05 yesterday. That's the first time that I've seen it over $4. Yipes! Well, I suppose that it was inevitable that we'd come in line with most of the rest of the world eventually.

I remember the gas lines and the even-odd restrictions... as a matter of fact, it's one of my more vivid memories from the early 70's. Funny that it's what I'd remember since you usually don't care about that kind of thing as a kid.

Bernie said...

Linda - I've heard so many stories about the effects of gas prices on small businesses, yet I forgot I actually know someone who has such a business. Best wishes on getting through this.

Velvet - You too! I guess we're next for $4-plus. And here I am car-shopping in the middle of all of this. I bought an economical car during the 70s crisis and it turned out to be the absolute worst car I've ever owned: a Chevy Vega.

morgs said...

$3.92 here in Nashville. It makes me sick everytime I fill up and unfortunately Nashville doesn't have a great public transportation system. :o( I remember when I first got my license and was in a panic because gas was $1.10....oh what I would give...

Zyriana said...

Hi there! Came through from enroute365! Just thought I'd let ya know that in California at my local gas station it's $4.57 for regular unleaded.

blech

Great blog!

Monica
www.zyriana.com

Bernie said...

$4.57?!?!?! Aaaahhhh!!! The Exxon station I wrote this post about just went up to $3.99 today and a Sonoco I frequent was at $4.01 a few days ago.

Thanks for visiting. I just dropped by your - nice. I'll drop by again soon.