Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Glory In The Flower

I love poetry, I write poetry, I know virtually nothing about poetry.

I can’t recite poetry from memory, not even my own poetry. The only poets I ever really paid attention to in school were Carl Sandburg and e e cummings, although I know I’ve been exposed to everyone from Longfellow to Thoreau to Langston Hughes.

But tonight I heard an amazing excerpt from something written by William Wordsworth. I’ll tell you where I heard it in a moment.

What though the radiance which was once so bright
Be now for ever taken from my sight,
Though nothing can bring back the hour
Of splendour in the grass, of glory in the flower;
We will grieve not, rather find
Strength in what remains behind.


These words were spoken by a character during the final scene of a TV show called Criminal Minds. One of the plot lines running through this episode involved grief and loss. Hearing poetry on a television program is a surprise. Hearing something as eloquent as this, something that resonates so well with anyone who has ever dealt with loss, is beyond surprise.

3 comments:

elizinashe said...

I've heard that one before...it is quite lovely! And that phrase was used in Splendor in the Grass(?) with Natalie Wood & Warren Beaty. Another fave of mine was used in Four Weddings & an Funeral. Check out Funeral Blues by W.H Auden...another one about grief & loss.

Synchronicity said...

see...tv is great! you get to hear poetry...music...i am sure even shakespeare.

Shirley said...

Too funny! I just heard that excerpt tonight (Dec.31, 2008) on the re-run of Criminal Minds. I found your blog while trying to find the whole poem. It truly is a beautiful piece of work.
(Sorry for just kinda busting in here on your blog, but the irony got the best of me.)