Friday, September 05, 2008

The Hurricanes Keep Coming

Last weekend it was Gustav in New Orleans. This weekend it's Hanna on the East Coast.

I bet the odds makers in Vegas are busy betting on Ike.

As I've mentioned before, I'm a little obsessed with hurricanes. I've been near them and in them and even ran away from a few of them. Most of my hurricane experience came from growing up in New Orleans, but I've also evacuated from a hurricane in coastal North Carolina and have been drenched by two since moving to Maryland.

Tomorrow morning I actually get to be one of the people on the radio dissemminating storm information. Fortunately I'll be home before the worst of the rain and wind gets here.

I have both fear and respect for hurricanes. In my youth I almost liked the adventure involved with getting ready for them. Not so much any more.

1 comment:

Linda V. said...

I have been drenched in rains from Gustav and Ike, even some of the winds. As a storm spotter for NWS, I think about weathering a hurricane for the experience, but then I see the devastation wreaked by even a Cat. 1-2 and I change my mind. I'm especially fearful of flooding, high water-storm surge. I'll watch it from afar, and pray for those who are in the path.