Saturday, August 05, 2006

Anti Inflammatory Attitude

Boomer idealism can lead to an interesting analogy.

I’ve been in pain for several weeks. Apparently a disc in my lower back was swollen, which pinched the sciatic nerve, and caused severe pain and muscle spasms all the way down my leg into my foot. I’ve been walking with a limp, leading to further imbalance in my body.

After a month of letting body parts fight it out with each other, I took a proactive approach and went to my doctor for help. He ran some tests, asked lots of questions, analyzed the situation, explained what was wrong. He suggested a course of action to solve the problem, which included an anti-inflammatory drug.

The medication relieved pressure on the sciatic nerve, which is connected to my thigh, knee, calf, ankle and foot. Each is a unique body part, yet each must work together for me to move forward. Reducing tension enables the parts to function properly and ultimately the whole body will be in better shape.

What if an anti-inflammatory attitude could be used in the world body, affecting some connected parts like Israel, Lebanon, Iraq, Iran, North Korea, Afghanistan, Pakistan, and the United States? Each is a unique country and culture, yet each must work together for the world to move forward in peace. Reducing the swelling of tensions would enable the countries to function properly and ultimately the whole world would be in better shape.

Idealistic? Yes. Possible? Maybe not.

Yet a new understanding of how my body parts relate to each other plus the use of anti-inflammatory drugs has enabled me to walk almost normally again. Understanding how countries can relate to each other plus the use of an anti-inflammatory attitude could help the world take a long step toward more peace with less pain.

2 comments:

Ian said...

Given the general way different countries have interacted with one another throughout history, I can only see one "perfect" solution for humanity to start working together toward a common goal, instead of against one another for mere personal power.

We need to be attacked by aliens. Really big, ugly, disgusting, smelly, man-eating aliens. It would help if they had a penchant for earth women and amused themselves by blasting school busses full of nuns and orphans too.

An outside threat (read: non-human) is going to be the only thing powerful enough to pull humanity together. Global warming ain't going to do it. The next dinosaur-killer ain't going to do it. Aliens.

If you haven't read the book Footfall by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, I highly recommend it. It tells just such a story.

Ian

HazMatt said...

I love it!
Great idea.
By th way, I had the sme problem with ny back. I cured it with situps.
Something about stomach muscles pulling my spine straight.
Please check out my blog.
www.hazmatt-chronicstupid.com