Saturday, August 19, 2006

Technology Stuff

I just bought the most amazing little device – a USB flash drive. This finger-sized plastic thing that now hangs on a lanyard with my work ID can store 1 GB of data, more disc space than the entire hard drive of the computer I had in the 1990s. I copied several hundred photographs and all of my blog posts onto this device yesterday, and only used half of the available storage space.

This mini drive would enable me to copy of all the audio files I work with every day, acting as a pint-size backup of my current work projects. I could probably back up sensitive personal data like scanned insurance documents. It is probably a good gadget to have in the event of a terrorist attack, natural disaster or computer theft and it only costs about $25. For a few bucks more I could get a 2GB model.



I’m no stranger to technology, but this little plastic thingie amazes me! And it reminded me of technology we have and take for granted and items boomers used to have that younger people might never have seen or used.

Stuff we used to have:
- Dial phones, party lines, calling an operator to place a long-distance call
- TVs with no remote, black and white TV, only 4 channels
- Cars with no air conditioner, paying extra for seat belts, gas station attendants
- The milk man, doctors who made house calls
- Record changers, 45s, 8-track players

Stuff we have now – and take for granted:
- Cell phones, computers, online shopping
- VCRs, 125 channels or more
- Power steering, power door locks, air bags

Stuff 20-somethings have that many boomers can’t understand:
- iPods, text messaging, My Space

Has technology helped us or has it just made us slaves to our devices? Can a cashier count out change if the register doesn’t figure it out? Can you go on vacation without checking voice mail or email? Have you ever answered your cell phone while sitting on the toilet? Can you have a family meal and conversation without the TV on?

I love technology, but sometimes I miss Mayberry.

2 comments:

Max and Me said...

wow...that is an amazing device. i want one! i do remember all those things you spoke of and more. i remember card catalogs, 8 track tapes, and ovaltine!

Lee said...

I feel you Bernie. I remember a lot of the "old" things. We had a 13 inch Black and White T.V. forever. I grew up listening to 8 tracks...my parents had one installed in their car! LOL I think about how we used to ride around in cars when we were little. I would stand up in the front seat between the driver and passenger. STAND UP! Whew, it's amazing I made it to my 30's.

LeeAndra