Saturday, December 23, 2006

Five Minutes With The Stars

If the goal of a great vacation includes doing some things you don’t get to do at home, I’ve achieved that goal on this trip.

I’ve walked on the beach with a loved one, photographed a lighthouse, shopped at a store that sells only dog-related items, turned the alarm clock OFF on a weekday, spent time in a hot tub with my wife sipping delicious red wine and watched a sunrise.


This might be the best thing, however: an hour ago I walked out to the beach alone, looked up at the clear sky and saw billions of stars. I identified the big dipper (without the help of my wife, who actually knows about this stuff). This is only the second time in my life I’ve seen this many stars. The other time was 20 miles north of here in a part of the Outer Banks with fewer tourists and less ambient light. I actually saw the Milky Way (according to my wife).

The soundtrack for tonight’s star-gazing was the pounding surf. I heard no people sounds, no cars on the nearby highway … just surf. What a beautiful night in the middle of a great vacation. I am one lucky man tonight.

Merry Christmas and Happy Winter Solstice to you.

1 comment:

abcd said...

This must be a wonderful and sweet moments in life. very sweet post.