Sunday, December 31, 2006

Out With The Old …

We’re closing in on the end of 2006 … less than six hours to go.

New Year’s Day and my birthday form calendar bookends for January, the month I use each year to set goals for the coming year. The end of December would be a good time to reflect on the past year to see if I met those goals, but I was so busy last January that I barely planned a thing and certainly didn’t write down any goals.

As I look back at 2006 today, I don’t know if I achieved any goals, but I’ll share a few things that did happen along the way.

New job responsibilities – A year ago I began to produce and sometimes host Sunday morning community affairs radio programs that air on eight radio stations in DC. This was in addition to my existing job producing and voicing commercials and promos on those stations. Fortunately I have volunteer help from some very cool people like Diner Girl, K.J. and Mary. I have also met and interviewed some interesting leaders and opinion makers including executives from Goodwill, the Maryland Lottery, AAA as well as US Senators Mary Landrieu and Ben Nelson. In addition, I started a regular feature called Boomer Talk.

This blog – The writing bug bit me in March and thanks to some inspiration from new friend Diner Girl and old friend Melanie, I started this blog. And I’ve made some new blog friends like Meander, Ian, LeeAndra, Velvet Girl, Drive By and others.

Atlanta – an interesting company meeting that helped improve my status. Learned a lot too and had face-to-face time with people I network with online.

My back – I was working out a couple of days a week during the summer. These were very light workouts, so I thought, but one day I apparently lifted a dumbbell incorrectly and hurt my back. I recovered weeks later, but I still struggle to exercise as much as I need to.

Katrina repairs – More than a year after Katrina, rehab work finally began on my sister’s house that had been flooded by the now-famous 17th Street Canal levee break in New Orleans. When complete, the house will be sitting several feet higher and will have all new interior walls.

New boss – she’s great, unique, knows her stuff.

OBX – spent Christmas weekend at Nags Head, North Carolina.

In a few hours, I begin my annual process. This time I plan to write down my goals. I’ll share some of it later.

Happy New Year!!

No comments: