Saturday, December 09, 2006

Shrimp, Football and Memories

The phone rings.

“Bernie, stop what you’re doing and get down here right now.”
“OK, what’s up?”
“Trust me; get down here now. You know Brian Mitchell, don’t you?”
“I’ve never met him, but he’s a former Redskins player with his own show, right?”
“Yes. And he’s from Louisiana, like you, and he’s a gourmet cook and he brought some home-made shrimp etouffee to the office today. Better get down here quick!”
“Thanks, Mike, I’ll be right down.”

Ten minutes later, I’m standing in the producer area of the sports talk radio station that is part of the station group I work for. As I look at a cast-iron pot filled with this authentic-looking dish, Mike introduces me to Brian Mitchell.

“Nice to meet you.”

We chit-chat for a minute about his home town, Katrina, etc. Then I spoon some of his shrimp etouffee onto a plate. I’m still a bit skeptical. I know what really good shrimp etouffee tastes like and I’m finding it hard to believe a 38-year-old former pro football player with his own radio talk show can cook this like my Cajun relatives.

One bite.
Another bite. Oh my God.
A third bite.

“Man, this tastes exactly the way my Mother and her sisters made it. She was one of those Cajun-French Louisiana natives with an X at the end of her name.”

Brian laughed and thanked me. I kept eating.

This happened more than a week ago and I can still taste the shrimp etouffee. The color was perfect (a unique tan-brown color), the consistency just right (a little thicker than soup), and there was just the right amount of spice (enough cayenne pepper and Tabasco sauce to dance on your tongue without making your eyes water).

And he used the same kind of old-school cast-iron cooking pot Mom used.

It is amazing how much of my Boomer youth flashed through my head as I ate a plate of food cooked by a guy younger than my Mom’s cast-iron pot … a memory trip kick-started by a delicate mixture of butter, flour, rice, spices and shrimp.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

ooh man that looks good! me so hungry!

Ian said...

Now I'm hungry for Cajun too.

*makes reservation at Cafe Evangeline*

Ian

camera shy said...

this sounds delicious

did he let you bring a doggy bowl with you?

ive never been that far south
been to memphis plenty of times (parents are form there) but i know they are hardly the same place.

great photos by the way.

Bernie said...

If we're ever all in the same zip code at the same time, I know what kind of food we should order!!

Camera Shy, welcome. No doggie bags that day because the pot was empty fifteen minutes after I got there. Hey, Memphis has good ribs. Last time I was there (late 90s), I had ribs at Rendezvous. Mmmmm, good. They can FedEx ribs to you in Minnesota (http://www.hogsfly.com/). I might have to order some for me in Maryland.

Lee said...

Oh my! I miss the good ole south and the cooking...I worked in a Cajun rest. for a while in Little Rock. They would FIX a chicken with crawfish etoufee stuffing and it was awesome! When we fly home we stop in Memphis and always, always get BBQ. I made homemade gumbo for my church and no one there had ever had it...so sad.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I don't really care for shrimp, but that looks so good that I'd eat it in a heartbeat!

I'd better go eat because now I'm really hungry. Delicious post!

Bernie said...

LeeAndra - chicken with crawfish etoufee stuffing??? That sounds great!! I can't really say I miss the south, but I definitely miss the food.

Velvet Girl - if you ever find yourself in a cajun restaurant, try this.

Camera Shy - I forgot to mention that I didn't take the etoufee picture. I "borrowed" it from another web site. I've never been good with still lifes and product photography, but I am pretty good with landscapes and dog agility events. And I noticed you are holding a "vintage" Canon camera in your blog picture - I don't remember the model # but it looks like one I had in the mid 80s. I shoot with Nikon film cameras now and eventually Nikon digital.

Carol Blymire said...

I have the Uglesich cookbook, and after reading this post I HAVE TO MAKE THIS over the weekend.

abcd said...

I laughed when I looked at the title, Shrimp and Foodball? it just doesn't click... until I read your blog!! nice post. I'll be back.

Anonymous said...

hiyah bernie! just checking in to say hello! everytime i come to your blog i am salivating over shrimp!

Bernie said...

Pink Ginger - welcome. Thanks for visiting. I just dropped by your blog - cool!!

Meander - I need to convince Brian Mitchel to make more of the shrimp etoufee. Meanwhile, did you see Diner Girl's comment - she's going to cook some. I know her in real life - I must convince her to bring some to my office.

Diner Girl - are you getting this large, obvious hint?? :)

Carol Blymire said...

Hint received.