Thursday, December 14, 2006

Starry Starry Night

Just before midnight Wednesday, my wife and I stood still next to the back fence, eyes on the night sky, waiting, watching.

I think I saw one.

The website said look north.

Wow, another one.

Out here in the country, we see a lot more activity in the night sky than we did when we lived in the suburbs closer to DC. Our sky view isn’t perfect, however. As the population of the town to the south increases, so does the ambient light. But there is no town to the north.

Cool. Look at that.

And last night we counted at least ten streaks of light as we searched the night sky for the Geminid meteor shower. That's the most we've ever seen. We would have seen more, but it was 35 degrees - so we went back inside.

4 comments:

Kim's World said...

Hey Bernie!

Wanted to drop by and say hi. That's amazing that you can see so many stars. I'm so jealous.

Have a Happy Holiday!

Kim

Ian said...

Monday morning at 6:45 a meteorite broke up over the mountains. The radio was awash in people calling in to say they'd seen a fireball overhead.

I wish I'd seen it, but I only heard it. It sounded like a gunshot.

Ian

Lee said...

Way cool pic Bernie!

Bernie said...

Hey Kim - thanks for dropping by!

Hey Ian - bet that was amazing.

Hey LeeAndra - wich I could say the shot is mine, but I "borrowed" it from astronomy.com or space.com. If you look closely, wou'll see some kind of observatory in the foreground. But the sky near my house that night did look similar to the sky in this photo.