Sunday, June 10, 2007

64 And 40

Recognize these lyrics?

When I get old and losing my hair,
Many years from now
Will you still be sending me the Valentine,
Birthday greetings, bottle of wine

If I stay out till quarter to three
Would you lock the door
Will you still need me, will you still feed me
When I'm sixty-four.


As Paul McCartney penned “When I’m Sixty Four” at the age of 24, could he have imagined that he’d still be well-known and in demand at the age referred to in the song?

“When I’m Sixty Four” is on the Beatles’ Sergeant Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band album, which celebrated its 40th birthday last month.

Paul celebrates his 65th birthday next Monday.

He’s still in the news, in part because of his divorce last year and his ex-wife’s appearance on Dancing With The Stars. McCartney was still touring in 2006. And he is still recording; Memory Almost Full, his latest album, was released last week and his 25 solo albums are now available on iTunes.

McCartney is three years older than the leading edge Boomers, so I guess that makes him a Senior. Clearly he is a role model for creative aging and shows us that if you’re lucky enough to do something you love for a living, you don’t have to retire.

1 comment:

elizinashe said...

hello Bernie!!

thanks for looking up my blog!! I left you a comment back on my page if you wish to look it up...otherwise Asheville is great. If you need any other info just let me know. I liked the Beatle Paul entry. Truly age is nothing but a number and should never hold you back from living life and doing new things!! eliz