Sunday, June 24, 2007

What's In A Name?

Brad Pitt and Gwyneth Paltrow named one Apple. Julia Roberts has a child named Phinneas. Some Boomers who had offspring during the Hippie days chose names like Sunshine and Flower. Musician Frank Zappa named his kids Moon Unit, Dweezil, Ahmet, and Diva Muffin.

This might only happen in America, where we truly are free to do this to our children.

An official in New Zealand, however, has banned a couple from naming their son 4Real. I’m not kidding. According to AOL News, Pat Wheaton and his wife came up with that name when they saw a scan of the child and reacted with, “is he for real?” The New Zealand Registrar-General banned the name, quoting a law that says one can’t use a name that starts with a number.

On one hand, I think a parent should have the right to name their child with any name they see fit. On the other hand, I had enough problems growing up Bernard, a name that is rare and unusual but not stupid. I agree with that New Zealand official.

Reminds me of that Johnny Cash song “A Boy Named Sue.”

But that’s only a song. It’s not for real.

2 comments:

Ian said...

I bet he ends up named "Forreal." That almost looks like a real name, doesn't it?

Ian

Bernie said...

Good point. Although I wouldn't be surprised if that registrar would try to block it with some other rule.

By the way, congrats on the book. I plan to include it my next Amazon order (this weekend maybe).