Saturday, September 29, 2007

BoomerTwang

You’ve probably heard me say that I’ve spent most of my adult life working in the media, mostly radio. My main job for the last few years has been making commercials, hyping everything from cars to granite countertops to my radio station, WMZQ, the Country Music station in Washington, DC. But my first love was always to be on the air as a DJ.

I started my career as a Rock DJ in the 70s and have played many different kinds of music on the radio over the years. I like nearly everything, but Country has been my favorite genre since I “discovered” it during the Garth Brooks era. My 16-years-and-counting run at WMZQ began with DJ duties and gradually evolved into the commercial production job I now have.

A few weeks ago, however, my career came full circle. Sort of.

In addition to my regular duties, I have returned to the airwaves as a DJ – for 3 hours a week. Yes, Friends, three hours … 6am – 9am, Eastern on Saturday mornings.

And this little show features the twangy country. Most of what we play on WMZQ is from today back to the early 90s. The “America’s Music” show, my little 180 minutes, includes mostly 1980s Country, with a lot of 70s and even some 60s and 50s.

In other words, I play 3 hours of BoomerTwang.

So next time you’re up early on a Saturday and in the mood for some yeehaw and y’all, here’s what you do: if you’re within 50 miles of DC, tune in 98.7. If not, go to our website and click on Listen Live or type in Bernie in the keyword box. And soon we’ll be replaying the show a few times on Mondays and Tuesdays on our HD2 channel, which you can also find on that website.

Shameless self-promotion done. Time for some Conway Twitty.

No comments: