Tuesday, September 04, 2007

The First Day of School

Today was the first day of my return to college. I could talk about how odd it feels to be back in school after a three-decade absence. Maybe I could tell you how unusual I must appear in my Dockers khakis, Bauer shirt and Rockport shoes in a room full of students wearing very long shorts, t-shirts and flip flops. You might expect to read about this fifty-something student’s opinion of a teacher young enough to be his daughter.

But none of that is applicable because this is my classroom …



Online learning is not new but this is my first experience with it. Virtual classrooms have been around for a few years, but the University of Maryland and many other schools have developed this format into a viable learning tool. I can actually get an entire degree without setting foot in a classroom for anything except final exams.

I like the classroom environment and engaging in face-to-face discussions with people, so I will eventually take some of my classes in the traditional classroom setting. For now, however, my learning environment is 12-point Arial on an HP laptop monitor.

It’s nice to have this option.

5 comments:

Lee said...

How do you take an apple to the teacher? Do you send them a virtual apple?

Lee

Rhea said...

Great idea! I hadn't thought of taking courses online.

Bernie said...

Lee - a virtual apple - what a great idea. You're a teacher - does that apple thing work any more? :)

Rhea - It's the only way I could do it, for now. Not every university offers that option yet, but it's a rapidly growing trend. The only issue I'm having with my class so far is eye strain, but that's probably because I need new glasses.

Lee said...

Well, the whole apple thing is overrated... I never was that into apples. But I did have a couple of kids give me Star Wars toys and candy...

Lee

KJ said...

Hey... you're back in school! Good on ya mate! Congrats on your new goal... I think that's terrific. Good luck!