Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Another Year

Today is the most important holiday of my year.

Holiday seems to be derived from holy day. Some holidays like Christmas, Hanukah and Ramadan are connected to worship of a higher power. Some holidays involve honoring higher causes (Independence Day) or paying respect to groups of people who fought in the name of higher causes (Veterans Day and Memorial Day). The holiness of individuals is often cause for celebration … Presidents Washington and Lincoln, for example, or Dr. King.

In my opinion, however, the day of one’s own birth is the most important holiday of all. And today, I celebrate turning, uhh, f-f-fifty something.

The day started out as quite a solo celebration. My wife and our house guest both forgot to mention it this morning. Nobody sang Happy Birthday to me before lunch. My sister called to wish me Happy Birthday around 1 p.m. and my wife did the same about two hours later. Then I was surprised by some co-workers who came into my office with a cake around 5 and I was greeted at home with carrot cake (my favorite) and 5 or 6 birthday cards.

All things considered, today was a pretty good holiday. And I thank that higher power for any assistance he or she has given me in remaining healthy and young.

6 comments:

Kim's World said...

Happy Birthday Bernie! That's so funny, I consider my b-day to be my favorite holiday also.

KJ said...

Happy Birthday Bernie!

Max and Me said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BERNIE!!!

Save some cake for me...or at least some icing.

Ian said...

Happy Birthday, Bernmeister!

Ian

Bernie said...

Thanks for all the birthday wishes!! Wish my favorite "holiday" could be a day off for you. :)

velvet said...

Happy Belated Birthday, Bernie!!!

My blog time has been a bit curtailed lately... sorry that it wasn't more timely!

-velvet