Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Five

Wow, hollilama taggged me with a challenge to post five things about myself that most people would not know. OK, why not?

1. My original career plan while in college in the 1970s was to study Marketing, Sociology and Urban Studies, graduate, then work as a bureaucrat in my hometown New Orleans. Instead, I dropped out of college at the end of 3 years to try out my childhood fantasy of being on the radio and I’m still living that dream more than 30 years later.

2. I’ve participated in a hot air balloon race.

3. I can identify most makes and models of cars made between 1954 and 1964. The weird thing is that I didn’t realize I was such an old car geek till I ran into a childhood neighbor at my Mother’s funeral last year. I hadn’t seen her in 40 years and her first question to me was “what are you driving?” As I pointed to my wife’s minivan I asked her why she wanted to know. Her answer: “When we used to play on your swing set, all you talked about was cars.” We were 6 or 7 years old at the time.

4. I took saxophone lessons for a year starting at age 39.

5. Although most of my music listening involves 70s and 80s rock and 90s Country, my all-time favorite piece of music is Gershwin’s Rhapsody In Blue.

I won’t tag anyone on this one, but I know Ian, LeeAndra and Meander like to do these and Diner Girl can rarely resist a list.

2 comments:

velvet said...

Awesome list! Your almost career may not have been as exciting as the one that I listed on mine, but your real career is pretty great.

Oh, and Rhapsody in Blue is fantastic.

Holli Lama said...

Fabulous list! I grew up a car geek too. With a car geek dad and a car geek grampa how could I not. I have an affinity for identifying old corvettes by year and a good smattering of 50s Fords and Chevys.