Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Random Thoughts From Boomerville II

1. Rodeo cowboys starch their shirts. Why the heck do they do that? The steer-ropers I watched on ESPN jumped off their horses onto the muddy ground, literally picked up the steer and wrapped a rope around three legs. The cowboy gets dirty, dusty and muddy, but their shirts stay wrinkle-free!



2. There are almost as many logos on a rodeo cowboy’s starched shirt as on a NASCAR car.

3. The end of the world is near. I know this because the New Orleans Saints beat the hell out of the Dallas Cowboys this season. And they’re in the playoffs. To quote that song they sing at Saints games: who dat say dey gonna beat dem Saints?

4. We see more advertising messages in a day than our grandparents saw in a lifetime.

5. Overheard at Starbucks: two young women talking. “I think I’m going to, like, throw up.” “There’s, like, a lot of things that make me nervous, like, class and exams.” “Yeah, and, like, there’s this guy ….”

6. That song I keep hearing on a radio station I only sometimes listen to is by a group called Panic! At The Disco. I saw them sing it on TV on New Year’s Eve. Great hair, guys!



7. I’ve seen that Geico commercial with Little Richard 40 or 50 times and still think it’s funny.

2 comments:

Ian said...

1. Appearances are important to cowboys. A normal belt buckle works fine - but theirs have to be roughly the size of Cleveland.

2. They're just harder to read in only eight seconds.

3. Just goes to show that the sun shines even on a dog's ass some days. *ducking* I can say that because my Broncos were ten-point favorites over San Fran and we lost to them. Then one of our cornerbacks was murdered after the game. *sigh*

4. Sorry, what? I was watching a Geico commercial.

5. Like, what's the big deal, man? Shaggy talked like that, like, all the time.

6. I like PatD. They have, I think, the longest song title ever (which has nothing whatsoever to do with the song): "Lying Is The Most Fun A Girl Can Have Without Taking Her Clothes Off". Imagine trying to fit THAT onto the CD image!

7. I like the one with the voiceover announcer, myself.

Ian

Bernie said...

re: 6 - I don't even know the title of the song I was referring to, but I hear it all the time (and like it) ... there's a line in it about slamming the damn door.

The country group Alabama has an old song with an even longer title: If You're Gonna Play In Texas, You've Got To Have A Fiddle In The Band.

re: 7 - I like the voiceover announcer version too, but that Peter Graves version is just creepy.